In accordance with Oregon state law ORS 408.225(1)(e) or ORS 408.225(1)(c), veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position may be eligible for veterans’ preference in public employment.
How it works:
- Qualified veterans that meet minimum and special qualifications, as determined by COIC, are entitled to receive an interview when an interview is a component of the selection process.
- Qualified veterans receive preference at each stage in the hiring or promotional process in which they participate. If there is not a scored exam in a selection process, we will apply another method of preference as required by State law.
- Veterans’ preference will not be awarded unless an applicant submits the proper documentation. See details below.
- All required documentation must be submitted by the closing date of the recruitment.
- Required documentation only needs to be provided once. Information on applicants who meet the qualifications for Veterans’ Preference will be held in a database for all subsequent applications.
To apply for Veterans’ Preference with COIC
Submit documentation using one of the following methods:
- Attach the required documentation to your online application.
- Email the required documentation to email@example.com
- Fax the required documentation to (541) 923-3416.
- Hand deliver or mail to Human Resources: 334 NE Hawthorne Ave., Bend Oregon, 97701.
To qualify as a Veteran
You must have served on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States (US) as listed below, and you must have been discharged or released under honorable conditions.
- For more than 90 consecutive days beginning on or before January 31, 1955; or
- For more than 178 consecutive days; or
- For 178 days or less and has a disability rating from the US Department of Veteran’s Affairs; or
- For at least one day in a combat zone; or
- Received a combat or campaign ribbon or an expeditionary medal for service in the Armed Forces.
You must provide proof of eligibility by submitting:
- Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD214/215) that reflects other than dishonorable discharge separation status.
- A letter from the US Department of Veterans Affairs indicating that you are the recipient of a non-service connected pension.
To qualify as a Disabled Veteran
You must be:
- A person whose discharge or release from active duty was for a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty; or
- Have a disability rating from the US Department of Veterans Affairs; or
- Awarded the Purple Heart for wounds received in combat.
You must provide proof of eligibility by submitting: Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD214/215) that reflects other than dishonorable discharge separation status AND a copy of your veterans’ disability letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs.
For additional information or questions regarding veterans preference please contact the Oregon Department of Veterans Affairs at (800) 692-9666.